Dining with Jane


Our {formerly} mild-mannered Autumn
has turned from a blaze of glory
to a biting cold fury!

On Tuesday night, a power-outage
helped me to channel my inner
Jane Austen as I penned Wednesday's
post by candlelight.....

And I believe that she stayed with me 
yesterday as I set my autumn table
for Vintage Inspiration Fall Friday 
at sweet Debra's of Common Ground.


So please, step into my dining
room this cold and blustery 
autumn day, as Jane and I
welcome you with dining-parlour
passages from one of my favorites,
Pride and Prejudice.



When they repaired to the dining-room, 
Elizabeth eagerly watched to see whether 
Bingley would take the place, which, in all 
their former parties, had belonged to him, 
by her sister.


They followed her into the dining-parlour.
It was a large, well-proportioned room, 
handsomely fitted up. Elizabeth, after 
slightly surveying it, went to a window
to enjoy its prospect. 


Mr. Darcy was almost as far from her
as the table could divide them.  He was on one
side of her mother.  She knew how little
such a situation would give pleasure to either,
or make either appear to advantage.


Their party in the dining-room was large, 
for almost all the Lucases came to meet 
Maria and hear the news: and various were 
the subjects which occupied them.


His behaviour to her sister was such, 
during dinner time, as shewed an admiration
of her, which, though more guarded than formerly, 
persuaded Elizabeth, that if left wholly to himself, 
Jane's happiness, and his own, would be speedily secured.


"Well girls," said she, as soon as they were 
left to themselves, "What say you to the day? 
I think every thing has passed off uncommonly 
well, I assure you. The dinner was as well dressed 
as any I ever saw."


"The soup was fifty times better than 
what we had at the Lucases' last week; and 
even Mr. Darcy acknowledged, that the partridges 
were remarkably well done; and I suppose he
 has two or three French cooks at least."


"Oh, my dear Eliza! pray make haste 
and come into the dining-room, for there
is such a sight to be seen! I will not tell you 
what it is. Make haste, and come down this moment."


Elizabeth had at first rather wondered
that Charlotte should not prefer the dining-parlour
for common use; it was a better sized room,
and had a more pleasant aspect.


"It has been a very agreeable day," 
said Miss Bennet to Elizabeth. 
"The party seemed so well selected, 
so suitable one with the other. 
I hope we may often meet again."

Elizabeth smiled.


I hope you enjoyed dining with me 
and Jane and that YOUR autumn day 
does not include a high of 38 degrees, 
like mine does!

I am also joining Friday Flowers
with  Laura,
dedicating these posies to
my muse, Jane Austen.

Imagine her delight
to still be inspiring and entertaining
so many of us around this world,
193 years after leaving it
for the next.



All images: Privet and Holly


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Save Dining with Jane on social network: