Still Wagging


Sick as a dog.

I had plenty of
time to consider
this turn of phrase
over the holidays
as each day
one
by
one
all of my
family members
and ultimately,
myself,
succumbed to
the flu bug.

You absolutely
KNOW when
a dog is not well.

Even she was ill, one day!
They curl up
in their spot,
be it bed,
floor or couch,
won't eat and
respond with 
a half-hearted 
thump of the tail
when you kindly
inquire What's
the matter?

In their eyes you
find an expression
that is almost
mournful....
Why me? it says.


Sick pups
are always distressing
because they
can't tell you
where it hurts.

In the January issue
of Real Simple magazine,
there is a piece called
Five things you can
learn from your pet.

One of them,
Celebrate Everything,
especially stood out
to me as I lay, 
bleary-eyed 
under the thick duvet in my 
parent's guest room, 
trying to focus on the words and
definitely not celebrating
anything.


On New Year's day, when
we departed, I saw
this lesson played out
before me, as Kate,
Mom and Dad's 
seven-month old
Doberman, mischievously
snagged a cardboard
box from the pile
 Dad had waiting to burn
next to his fire pit,
containing the unusable
Christmas wrappings
and detritus.


Kate cavorted around
the yard, shaking the
box, throwing it in
the air and then picking
it up and throwing it
again, full of sass,
glee and YES,
celebration.

{Look closely for the cavorting Dobies!}
In the infamous words
of Meg Ryan,
I'll have what she's
having!




This year, when I inhale
 the aroma of that first
cup of freshly-brewed
coffee in the morning, my
 imaginary tail
is going to wag and
in my mind, I will
channel my inner
Kate, saying, 
Coffee, coffee, oh boy
 oh boy I looove
coffee...mmmmmm
yummy coffee!
And hopefully, I will
take that celebratory
spirit with me into
the rest of my day.




Yes, you can indeed
learn a lot from your pet.




As a recovering sick
pup {I'm still far from
100%, darn it} I am
casting my woeful eyes 
on the year ahead 
with an expectant
wag of my imaginary
tail, resolving to
celebrate all the little
things that make up
this dog's life.



Cardboard box,
anyone?



Have a wonderful
first week of 2011,
sweet friends.  Don't
forget to wag, and
wag often!

xx
Suzanne

PS:  Thank you to everyone
who left me such kind, kind
words of encouragement and
sympathy as we've fought this
nasty bug over Christmas.  Your
words are truly the BEST
medicine.  Stay healthy!






images:
Privet & Holly 1, 2-3, 8, 10
Flickr 5-7, 11 {click on pic for talent}
Real Simple 4
Google images 9




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Save Still Wagging on social network: