Shoe Diaries


The first day after
taking the pledge
was fraught with potential
shopping land mines.


My daughter's
homecoming dance this
year had a hoe-down theme.
We thoughtwestern style 
Frye boot-look would be
a great compliment to her
jeans and little plaid shirt.


Our inspiration
Country Living
Normally we'd hit Target
or Famous Footwear, but
had a good idea that her
choices would be knock-offs
made in China.  So, we
went to Designer Shoe Warehouse, 
aka DSW, instead.



Astonishingly enough, 
most of the shoes there were 
also made in China....even iconic
American brands such
as Ralph Lauren.  Box
after box....made in China.

Dreaming of American-made shoes!

I'd be lying if I didn't tell
you that my stomach was
in knots and I almost felt
queasy.  Would I break
the pledge or would my
daughter just have to go
to the dance in sneakers?


{Her Converse Chuck
Taylor All-Stars, an
American classic....also
made in China.}

The real Frye boots were in
the $250-$400 range,
so we left, discouraged.


Solution?  We ended up
borrowing a pair from my
friend Jennifer. {Luckily, she and
my daughter wear the same
shoe size.}  Jen's a vegetarian
and her pleather pair were
actually made in ....Brazil.

Go figure!

If you visit Zappos.com
and search shoes made in
USA you will get three pages
of results, which include Frye
boots, cowboy boots, dance
shoes, Harley-Davidson boots
and a few others.....

Lucchese brand ~ Made in Texas, USA

Need a pair of work boots
or moccasins?  You'll be able
to find them manufactured in
the USA.  {Although Minnetonka
Moccasins are now made 
south of the border.}


Pretty dress shoe or boot?
Fa-ged-a-bowt-it.


I would really love to own a
a pair of Wellington style
boots.  So far, I haven't
found any that won't break
my pledge.  {Even the
U.K. brand Hunter is now
made in China and Serbia.}


{Hunter Botanicals ~ Sigh!}

But I'll keep
looking.

Stay tuned.

PS:  Ever notice how many
things at the craft store are
made in China?  I left there
today with only half of the
things on my list....

PPS: Thank you for all of
the comments and encouraging
e-mails supporting my 
October pledge!


[images: 1.4.5 flickr: click
for attribution; 2 Country Living;
rest:  Google images]


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Save Shoe Diaries on social network: