I Wanna Be Aunt Bee


I'm soooo tired.

Tired of
worrying about
what I eat
how much I exercise
eye cream
anti-aging creams
sunscreen
vitamins
supplements


Adding highlights
covering gray
volumizers
frizz control


What I
wear
Too short
too long
too old
too young


Sometimes
I envy
women of
past eras....
{On most
things I'm
grateful for
being a woman
of today}


In days gone by
you'd reach
"a certain age"
and expectations
about looking
young faded ~
It became about
comfort
in your own skin
not trying to
change that skin
or erase those
wrinkles
or fit into spandex.

This is more like it!

In the car yesterday
my {ever-wise}
teenage daughter
posed this question:

If I start using 
wrinkle cream now,
will I be wrinkle-free
when I am your age?

{You know, old!}


Apparently
society is so
terrified of 
looking older
that even our
youngest are
worried about
wrinkles!

The bombardment
of commercials ~
Restylane
miracle creams
Nutri-system

The Hollywood
surgery crowd ~
Nicole Kidman
Priscilla Presley
Jessica Lange
Meg Ryan
Raquel Welch

Victoria Secret ads
on mall walls
sides of buses,
television.....

What happened
to the days
of Aunt Bee?
She was the 
maiden aunt in
the hit TV series
The Andy Griffith
Show.


Gray hair
soft physique
aprons or
house dresses
ate what she wanted

Watching re-runs
as a child 
she represented
the elderly, to
me ~
When the show
began in 1960,
she was 58!

Women of
a certain age,
1940's:

Ladies in Lavender, 2004

Women of
a certain age,
21st century:

Priscilla Presley, age 65

So,
what did
I tell
my daughter?

That while
creams might
help prevent
wrinkles on
the very top 
layer of the skin,
a well-lived 
life goes
deeper.


Smile
and laugh lines
have to
be earned
and shouldn't
be erased.



That pinning
your sense of self
on a facade
will only lead
to unhappiness
as that facade
inevitably changes.

Castle ruins ~ Scotland
To develop
an inner life ~
of interests,
relationships
and meaning ~
that she can
always be proud of
and will always 
carry with her.....
on the 
inside.

To enjoy her
precious young self
and forget about
wrinkles!


It's been a
long week
and I'm soooo
tired.....

Thank you
for listening.

I'm feeling
better, already : )

{Now, 
if I can only
get a nap!}



[all images:  google;
I was too tired to
take my own!]



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Save I Wanna Be Aunt Bee on social network: