Simply Mine




In my last post
I asked you to
share the memory of
the best summer
of your life.
And,
you did……
in oh so many
sweet and heartfelt
ways.
Thank you!
Many of you asked
me to share how
I answered the
same question
when I sent
my response to
Harper Collins,
back in July.
For you I share
the rest of the story.
It’s not glamorous
or adventurous
or romantic.
I’m still not sure
why I chose it….
But, it’s mine.
My answer to:
Do you remember the
best summer of your life?


It was the ‘70’s and my dad had a job
transfer to a small town called St. Helens, Oregon.
sthelensoregon


I was ten years old and going into the fifth grade.
This was back in the days when a corporate
move meant they took care of everything!

villageinn2


Until our new house was "closed,"
The Company put us up at a motel in St. Helens
called The Village Inn.  It had soda machines
and a swimming pool.  My younger brother
and I thought that we were in heaven! 
 
pepsimachine


We had two adjoining rooms and one of them
had a kitchenette, but we usually ate dinner
at the Village Inn's own restaurant.

retro_kitchen  


On Sundays, we also ate breakfast out, and
my favorite thing to order was the strawberry
waffle....A gigantic Belgian waffle piled high
with lovely Oregon strawberries
and mounds of whipped cream! 

strawberryfields


Going out to eat in those days was  a HUGE treat
and we really felt like we were living it up! 
My folks were 32 and 33 and I can remember them
drinking Boone's Farm wines {they had just come out}
and looking so young and happy. 

strawberrywine


The Village Inn allowed pets and we had our two
dogs staying with us ~ and they were happy, too!

scruffydog


When the house was ready and we moved in,
there was a girl my age on one side of us
and a boy my brother's age on the other.  
We were off and running within the first day!

tetherball


My dad was transferred, again, the next summer,
so it was our one and only in St. Helens.
But, it was the best summer of my life {so far}!
 
Thank you.
For sharing my memories…
And caring enough
to
ask.
I hope your week
is off to a great start!
Stay tuned for a
fun giveaway later in
the week!!!
 
[images: flickr {click for attribution}
except 2 & 7 ~ google images]


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Save Simply Mine on social network: