My Secret Garden

At first people refuse to believe
that a strange new thing can be done,
then they begin to hope it can be done,
then they see it can be done ~
then it is done and all the world
wonders why it was not done
centuries ago.
~ Frances Hodgson Burnett,
The Secret Garden




Have you ever longed 
for a secret garden?  

A place where you could
just sit and be
or read a book
or pen notes in a journal
or sip tea or perhaps
a glass of wine?

I did.



When we moved to Minnesota
from Chicago ten years ago,
it was February and our new
yard was sleeping under one 
of the heaviest snowfalls of 
the decade.

I knew that the previous owners
had kept a vegetable garden, but
it wasn't until the snows melted
that I really saw it.



16 feet by 24 feet.
White picket fence.
Pitter patter went my heart.




In my mind's eye I saw a 
neatly laid out garden with flowers,
herbs and veggies.  My daughter,
nearly six at the time, would have 
a corner for a tiny fairy garden 
and  I would teach my son, then  
two, how to plant a seed and 
watch it grow.....

Hold on.


The wild weeds


What my mind's eye didn't see was

mosquitoes

no water source near the garden

a daughter who didn't see weeding
this wild patch as fun, even with the
bribe of little tiny plants and little tiny
furniture for the little tiny fairies we
were going to lure to this jungle ~

working around a two-year old's
nap schedule

wild woods and marsh that border
the picket fence and would wage a
war against this plot of earth that I
didn't have the energy to win

did I mention the mosquitoes?


The wild woods

In an attempt to support my dream
of a secret garden, my sweet hubby
arranged to extend our irrigation 
system to this outback, er, 
distant, corner of the yard.  

That's as far as it went.



Oh, I gave it the good college try
a few times over the years.  But the
indigenous flora {weeds} and the
native fauna, aka rabbits, deer and
{did I mention} mosquitoes, kept
the whole operation very elusive.

Until this year.

I met my own garden fairy.



Her name is Sandi and she started
helping me tame my overgrown yard
 last summer.  Last fall I mentioned the 
secret garden of my imagination and her 
eyes lit up. We agreed to ponder the
idea over the winter and touch bases 
come early spring.



We touched bases.
We made a plan.
She brought in reinforcements.
She turned a dream into a reality.



Think cutting garden.

Think raised beds, bordered
by salvaged flagstone.

Think cocoa mulch.



Think re-purposing the kid's playhouse
and moving it into the secret garden.

Think Craigslist $20 table and 
flea market mismatched chairs.

Think iron candle chandelier!





Think mix of annuals and perennials.
Think daisies, zinnias, cosmos and
more well into October....

Think happy, happy me!



This was the fledgling year,
but the perennials seemed to
thrive and the annuals were quite
content.

I am planning to give the table
the Annie Sloane paint treatment
over the winter and I want to
find a cute bench to go with it, in
 addition to my mixed up chairs.



Every time I pull into our drive 
and see my secret garden off in the  
distance, flowers nodding over
the fence, practically calling me
to come make bouquets,
I have to smile.

I guess it's not really a secret
garden, anymore.  I loved sharing
it with you, all the same!



What secret projects are you
holding close to your heart?
Let's grab our warm drinks and 
head out to the table for a good 
natter, as my English friends 
would say!

I'll even let you have my 
favorite blue chair : )

xx
Suzanne





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Save My Secret Garden on social network: