By Any Other Name



Proper names are 
poetry in the raw.
Like all poetry, they 
are untranslatable.
~ W.H. Auden

I had two baby gifts to
shop for this week.  One
was for a baby boy and
one was for a baby girl.

The baby boy is named Robert;
the baby girl is named Adalee.

How sweet are they?


My initial necklace won from the talented
Jeanette of Everton Terrace


We don't choose our
name {unless we change
it when we are older......}


Marilyn
Cher
Madonna
Prince


From the beginning,
like it or not, our name
 belongs to us.


It is us.



My mom was supposed
to be called Linda, but when
she arrived, nine pounds +,
Gigi changed her mind.

Linda is a petite name; 
my baby girl was big!
she used to say.

She named her Patricia,
and over the years,
has called her
Trish, Patsy, Pats and Pat.





Of course, for me, she
has always been Mom : )

When the time came 
to choose names for our
own babies, I searched
baby books, scrawled
out names and initials on 
paper, contemplated
nicknames and with my
husband, settled on two 
that felt just right.

In 1995, the top baby name
for American girls was
Jessica.  We named our 
daughter Elizabeth,which 
was ranked number nine.





In 1998, the top baby name
for American boys was
Michael.  We named our
son William, which was
ranked number 20.


For fun, I researched the
most popular baby names
for boys and girls last year,
across the globe, and found
the most comprehensive
list, here.

Ready?

Australia      Lily/Jack
      Brazil           Julia/Gabriel
   Canada        Olivia/Liam
     France         Emma/Lucas
 Germany     Mia/Lukas
      India           Ananya/Aarav
         Russia         Maria/Alexandr
       Spain           Sofia/Santiago
   U.S.            Sophia/Aiden

So, what is in a name?

Is it true, as Shakespeare
suggested, that a rose by
any other name would 
smell
as sweet?



My paternal grandma's
name was Bertha.  Had
her parents called her

Mary
Helen
Dorothy
Margaret
or
Ruth,

the top five girl names
in 1915, would she have
been a different person?

I can't imagine that.





Any item personalized
with a letter, name
or initial feels special,
doesn't it?

I have always loved
the formality of monograms
and I've welcomed
their resurgence in the
last few years.

This is me! a monogram 
seems to declare.



Last spring I sent my 
newest niece a pewter
baby bowl with her just-
minted monogram.  I hope
she will always be proud
of those small letters that
uniquely represent her.

When my mom was growing
up, she called her baby doll
Suzanne.  My dad's grandma
was Susanna and the rest
is history : )

{Lisa was actually the most
popular name the year I arrived.}  




Whether 
a Debbie or a Jane,
a Steven or a Paul,
our names are as
much a part of us as 
the color of our eyes.

Does your name
feel as untranslatable as
poetry, as W.H. Auden 
put it so beautifully?


A gift from the queen of monograms, Cathy at Stitchfork Designs.


More importantly,
does it feel
like
you?

I'd love to
hear your story.

xx
Suzanne


PS:  You didn't think
I'd let you go without
sharing some baby love,
did you?


My new niece, Courtney, five months old : )

PPS:  If you were born in
America and want to check
out the top names in your
birth year, you can find them,













0 comments:

Post a Comment

Save By Any Other Name on social network: