Birds of a Feather


Byrdes of on kynde and color
flok and fly allwayes together.

~William Turner, 1545,
The Rescuing of Romish Fox

She doesn't have a flock,
this sweet girl of mine.
She attends a small-ish
school and often feels like
that lone bird, sitting on
a branch or telephone wire.




It's challenging to fly 
amongst birds who are into
Lady Gaga,  Juicy Couture,
Glee and the leading men
in the Twilight series when
you are more interested in
  U-2, drawing and art, collecting
vintage things and loving
all animals {and fascinated 
by raptors and even sharks},
mystery and forensic shows
and the fine art of taking tea,
just to
name
a few.




I'm weird, she laments.


You're special, we console.


Mature for your age.
An old soul.

Just wait, I often 
say, until you get to
college and find a whole
world of interesting people
with so many, many
different interests.

Just wait.




She will nod and
smile a quiet smile, her
hazel eyes reflecting the
encouragement in my
voice.

But it's hard to wait,
when you are that lone
bird on the telephone wire.


Red tailed hawk by Elizabeth


Last week my daughter,
my husband and I made
our first college visit, driving
700 miles round trip to
check out a potential 
school for the fall of 2013.


Gorgeous country near the university


Elizabeth was nervous,
excited and didn't really
know what to expect.

Eric and I were mainly
just....excited.  {Okay,
he was also a bit nervous
about footing the bill.} I 
found myself wistfully 
thinking how much fun it 
would be to do it all, again.




Our school has many,
many clubs, said the student
guide as he lead us around
the campus.  We even have a
Raptor Club that helps to care
for and rehabilitate these birds.

My daughter and I locked
eyes; hers as big as saucers.




Here in the student union,
we put up a large movie
screen when big events are
going on, like the World
Series.  Just last week it was
 up for Discovery Channel's
Shark Week.

My daughter looked at me
and smiled.


Shark by Elizabeth

This all-women resident hall
serves tea every Sunday and
houses a huge tea cup collection.
Prominent guests have visited
for tea, including Helen Keller
and Jackie Kennedy.

Our eyes met again.......


All-women's resident hall


Maybe there is a flock 
out there for me, after all,
they seemed to say.

Maybe Mommy 
really does know 
what she's talking about.


I like it here!


After the campus tours 
and lunch, Elizabeth asked if
we could drive by the raptor
house, just to see it.  When
we pulled up, there was a
young lady sitting in a chair
under a tree, reading a book,
with an owl on her arm.



{Cue U-2 here.}




My daughter approached the
pair and introduced herself. 
The enthusiastic pre-veterinarian 
student asked, Would you like 
to meet some more of our residents?

She did.  And meet them, 
we did.....for over an hour!





Charlie...He's been here since 1981.




It was truly a highlight
of her summer.


Back at home the next
day {home away from home,
as we are still visiting my
parents in the Pacific NW}
Elizabeth found an injured
hummingbird and tried to
nurse it back to health. 




This is the stuff my 
lovely girl is made of.




And in two short years, 
she will find her flock....
and fly.

Just wait.





xx
Suzanne


paintings: my daughter
photos:  me












0 comments:

Post a Comment

Save Birds of a Feather on social network: