Vintage Girl


One of the {myriad of} things
that I love about blogging
is the way that blogging
women often refer to other
blogging women as girls.

Like ~ Good for you, girl....
or
Go for it, girl!
or
Girl, I just love you.


And since anything
older than 30 years
is considered vintage,
then I guess that
makes me {and many of you}
a vintage girl.

Girl or girlfriend doesn't
roll off my
tongue,
pen or
keyboard
very easily, though.


That type of slang just wasn't
common among my peers
when I was growing up and
it feels a bit forced to use it.

But girlie? 
That's a different story.

And this is why.

{Please....have a seat.}

My grandpa, aka Pa, called
 his sweetheart of 55+ years
 Girlie,
as if it were her real name,
until the day he died,
at the age of 80.

As a kid, I thought it was
fascinating that he called my
Mie-Mie Girlie, since really,
she was old.

She was 47 
when I was born : )


As I matured and became
interested in romance, boys 
and all the rest, I thought 
that Pa's pet name for Mie-Mie 
was really something 
special.

The years rolled on and 
they grew older.

I grew older.


Because of their example,
Girlie came to mean
comfort,
sweetness 
and unending
love.

Even after my Pa 
and his Girlie were gone.

Girlie's favorite color:  purple.

Now I'm aware that
 girlie
isn't a term that feminists
would likely embrace.  And 
some of you may find it just 
plain annoying, feminist 
or not.

But if I leave you a comment
or send you an e-mail that
includes girlie, please indulge me 
and know....



It comes straight 
from
my
heart.

xx 
Suzanne


All photos by me,
the vintage girl
who likes vintage : )




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Save Vintage Girl on social network: