Mrs. Magpie: Collector's Edition


I never set out to be
a collector.....
Even saying the word collector 
brings to mind someone with
a wine cellar filled with vintage
bottles or a man wearing a
monocle, studying his vast coin
or stamp collections....


But somehow, over many,
many years, I have amassed
groups of similar things,
unwittingly cobbling together
my own sorts of collections.


I didn't grow up with
parents who were collectors,
although Mom and Dad
did encourage my brother
and me to start collections.....

stamps and coins {him}
dolls and horse statues {me}
sea shells {both}
rocks {him}
silver charms {me}

I think adults like the idea
of adding to children's collections
as well as the idea that the
collection itself might be 
educational.


Ironically, it wasn't until my
brother and I had left the nest that
 my folks began their own collecting.
They now attend auctions regularly
and my mom is a regular hunter
at thrift shops!
  

While I no longer collect dolls,
I do have some horse and dog
art around our house.  I use that
word lightly, as none of it is valuable
in terms of money.  It simply appeals
to my love of both of these creatures.

And  really, isn't that the 
best sort of collection?


When I travel I like to bring
home a rock or shell and add it to the
ledge in my shower.  It makes me
smile to see that tiny collection
every
single
day.


My dad's parents retired in Florida
and spent hours shelling.  They had
buckets and buckets of shells and
shark's teeth in their little seaside home
and it was always a treat for all of
their grandchildren to visit and comb
through the treasures.


I believe, in the end, it's not having
the things that means a great deal to
me, but rather being a part of the
history and stories that the pieces hold.
Even if I didn't inherit the item, but 
purchased it at a flea market or thrift shop
love to think about who the previous 
owner might have been and what
 kind of life each thing possibly had 
before it entered mine.


And honestly, if I lost all my collections
tomorrow, I would be sad, but as I often
remind my daughter when she's forced
to tackle her unkept room and make the
tough decisions about what to keep and what
 to set aside for the church rummage sale:
They are things.


The thing is not your health.
The thing is not your loved ones.
The thing is not your past.
The thing is not your future.

It is, indeed, an object.

And while it might bring back a
wonderful memory, the thing,
in itself is not the memory.  Only
our heads and hearts can truly
contain those.


That said, what truly makes a home
welcoming and cozy in my eyes are 
those little things that reveal hints
 about the people that live there.
When you step into our house,
the vintage clocks on the mantle,
the silver plate and tea pots, the
horses and dogs all tell you a wee
bit about the lady of the house.


I wish my husband shared my love
of collecting.  Aside from books that
he has read and enjoyed {and none
of them are rare or first-edition}, his
only collection is kept at his office ~
kaleidoscopes ~  which is pretty cool.
But there is nothing in our home,
per say, that lets you in on who he is.

Except, like him, the dwelling 
itself is solid, warm and handsome.

Like my parents, I have encouraged
both of our kids to start collections.
And similar to us, it is our daughter
who has many different collections and 
our son who has only a few.


The proverb that beauty is in the
eye of the beholder is especially evident 
in the varying objects that people collect.
But whether they be precious, kitchy,
sentimental or simply call to our spirits,
collections are also reflections of some
part of what make us.....us.


Here is a peek at a few more of
the collections that this Mrs. Magpie
has brought home to the nest 
over the years.







Okay, now it's your turn to show-n-tell.
I'd love to peek in your window and
see what you collect.....or to hear what
things you hold dear to your heart.  
So please, link up your collections,
below, and pop back all week to look 
through the other windows with me!

{You know you want to, right??}

The linky party will run until Friday,
so come on in and stay a while!
xx
Suzanne

Also linking up here:
Photobucket

Collections:

1- The first of many tea cups.
2 - Skeleton keys
3 - Boxes
4 - Vintage trophies
5 - Horses and dogs
6 - Travel rocks and shells
7 - Ball jars and silver plate
8 - Ball jars
9 - Tea cups
10 - Walking sticks
11 - Porcelain box
12 - Vintage clocks
13 - Part of my son's frog collection
14 - Hand mirrors
15 - Lake art
16 - Transferware
17 - Planter urns














0 comments:

Post a Comment

Save Mrs. Magpie: Collector's Edition on social network: