Motherhood: Getting to the Point



When I think of my life in its entirety,
 I see it as sort of an arrow--
with my birth being one end and the point being the future.

An arrow time line.

The BC on the birth end standing for Being a Child
and the AD for Adult in Development.

Moving on towards the point
the BC now stands for Before Children
and the AD for After Delivery......
....to my heart, the hospital, my doorstep.

My life.

From the time I was a very little girl
I knew that I wanted to be a mother.


My mom kept a little book for me
called My School Years
and every year, from kindergarten through
sixth grade, I checked which profession
I dreamed of having.  Included in this
list of choices was Mother.


I always checked that one.


Even when I checked the other boxes.



I laugh now when I look at the
 professional choices 
it offered to girls.
 But I also like the validation
that this little book from the late '60's gave
to the job of motherhood.

It's a profession.



Little did I know when I checked Mother in my 
book, innocent and shining and looking toward
the point of the arrow, that attaining that vocation would
require heartbreak, prayer, modern science
and fortitude.

It was nearly four years from the time that
we hoped to become parents until AD ~
After Delivery......

When my baby girl, the heart of my heart,
was placed in my arms.


Oh how I have loved my profession!

She is now navigating her own timeline,
somewhere between Being a Child and
Adult in Development.


I have a School Days book for her, too.
{Although creative soul that she is
she prefers creating her own
scrapbook....}


These days there are no boxes to check.

You write in your own dreams.

In addition to artist,
I hope that she will also write.....

Mother.


Happy Mother's Day
to everyone who has a mother
or has ever been one....
to a child, a pet, a friend.

And Mom:  I love you!




images: [1 spacious planet.com]
all others Privet and Holly


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Save Motherhood: Getting to the Point on social network: